Thursday, June 08, 2017

Film Week

A review of the film I've seen this week.

WONDER WOMAN (2017)
Loved, loved, loved this movie. This is so much what I wanted a Wonder Woman movie to be. I think my favorite thing about it was setting it in World War I instead of World War II. It's pretty relevant to today, particularly with the refugee situation in the wold and the general hopelessness of the film's portrayal of the Great War. Certainly a lot of us feel powerless to the tide of history these days. In comes Diana, a beacon of hope, and besides its successful subversion of a lot of typically male action movie tropes, Gal Gadot's performance is just so charming and lovable that I just... I don't know, it made me feel good. Like love and hope counted for something, in a way I usually haven't seen in movies like this. What's so great is that the movie gets what Wonder Woman represents, but rather than remind us of it constantly with text-as-dialogue (my biggest issue with many of the DC movies), Diana is a character with things to learn about herself. It took me some time to realize that, wonderfully, I was watching a movie about women that didn't have a leering Male Gaze to it, that just took the character seriously. Chris Pine plays well off of Gadot, supporting her with his performance rather than trying to outshine her, content to let it be her movie, but he has some great moments of his own. I also love the collection of diverse men who help them along their way into Occupied Territory and across No Man's Land. (I was thinking to myself that Wonder Woman appearing in the trenches even plays to a lot of the mythology at the time and the stories of soldiers who thought they saw angels and goddesses and other such things on the battlefield.) The only misstep is probably the CGI in the finale, which is big and does bookend the film with its first act, but feels a little old hat at this point. I'm not going to go into the whole "DC vs. Marvel" bit or "What does this mean for the DCEU?" discussions going 'round, but I just really enjoyed the hell out of this movie and I can't wait to watch it again. ***1/2

3 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

In a year when I loved LOGAN and GUARDIANS 2, Wonder Woman is the best movie I have seen this year and is maybe the best superhero movie of all time for all the reasons you said. I can't say enough good about the film.

Roger Owen Green said...

Haven't seen it, but I'm told on FB by a comic book professional that some stayed to the end of the credits, and BOOED the lack of MCU-style tease.

SamuraiFrog said...

Personally, I was just glad to not have a gratuitous Batman or Flash cameo in one of these movies for a change. It was nice to see it stand on its own, except for a brief callback to Batman v. Superman.