Sunday, May 07, 2017

Song of the Week: "Sitting"

I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on Friday, and it was a real emotional experience for me. Without spoiling anything, there was a lot in there that I personally related to as an abused kid, and the excellent soundtrack is part of that. Most of the songs in both movies are songs that I grew up listening to a lot, because I grew up with my Mom and Dad's record collection. One of my favorite albums ever, one I listened to on a record over and over and over and then a cassette and then a CD and then MP3s and will never tire of was Cat Stevens' Tea for the Tillerman, and when "Father and Son" came up in the movie during probably the most emotional scene of any Marvel movie, I couldn't hold it in at all. It was a beautiful scene in a beautiful movie that featured a beautiful song. I still remember my Dad teaching playing that song on his acoustic guitar.

Now, I've had that song up as Song of the Week back in 2008, so I don't want to repeat myself. And even while watching the movie, I realized that I expected Stevens' song "Sitting" to play next, because that was the next song on the Greatest Hits album that I also listened to over and over again. Even though it's from a different album, Catch Bull at Four, it's long become the natural follow-up in my mind. So here's that song for this week. So many of his songs make me feel... almost like a fully realized person.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

There's a Cat Stevens song in GIFTED as well, The Wind.

SamuraiFrog said...

That's another favorite. Few singers move me like Cat Stevens. Guess it was the right time in my life when I first encountered him.