Sunday, January 01, 2017

Song of the Week: "Freedom! '90"

I'm not trying to be a dick when I say this is still my favorite thing David Fincher's ever done. This video was such a big deal, and it played so often on MTV that eventually I knew it shot by shot. I was 13 or 14 when this came out, and I remember MTV marveling at how George Michael didn't even appear in the video, how it was populated with some of the biggest models at the time, how he was symbolically smashing his own image by blowing up the jukebox and burning the jacket. It was one of the best videos of its time. This song and video have always sort of been up in the "current usage" part of my brain. When George Michael died last week, it reminded me of that adage that we don't cry for celebrities because we think we knew them, but because the work they did helped us know ourselves. Rest in peace, George Michael. Thank you for this. Thank you for a lot, but especially this.

1 comment:

Oblio said...

Just listened to 'Listen Without Prejudice' again after reading this post and must agree, 'Freedom 90 is a really great tune. I'd forgotten about the hubbub about George not appearing in the vid, as if it were a crime or something.