Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Carrie Fisher 1956-2016

I've loved Carrie Fisher since before I can remember. Of course, because I was nearly a year old when Star Wars came out.

I've loved Carrie Fisher as a writer since I was in high school, when I first read Postcards from the Edge and Surrender the Pink. Postcards hit me pretty hard, and it's only become more relevant to me as I've gotten older, because it's only in the last few years that I've come to realize that I've been struggling with mental illness all of my life. I'm still dealing with how I feel about the stigma of mental illness, and trying to break a lifetime of blaming myself for it, and I never really realized for a long time that my admiration of Carrie Fisher has less to do with Star Wars than it had to do with the way she was so honest about her own struggles with mental illness and addiction and the sometimes ugly reality of being disappointed in life. Of not always feeling like you can control your own destiny. That was a gift to me and to people who deal with the same thing.

She was just so damn honest. And she channeled that honesty into art in the form of her books.

She was direct and cutting and I hope that at some point I'm as brave as she was. I hope I also can just stop running myself down at some point and say look, this is me, this is who I am, and this is life.

Carrie Fisher was a goddamn inspiration.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

You really can't RANK death impact in an easy metric, but of the 2016 deaths, her passing was up there for me with Ali and Bowie, and Star Wars was only a minor reason.

SamuraiFrog said...

This is a really hard one.