Sunday, October 02, 2016

Song of the Week: "People Make the World Go Round"

I spent the day yesterday watching all of Luke Cage on Netflix, and it is just fantastic. Luke Cage is one of the most inspiring heroes to come out of the MCU. And besides how well-acted and captivating it is, its soundtrack is gold. The rest of the year's Songs of the Week could just easily be the entire Luke Cage soundtrack. This is a 1972 single by The Stylistics that I've always dug, and it was nice to hear in the first episode.

4 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

So how grim is that show? I still haven't finished JESSICA JONES, because as good as it is, its unrelenting grim tone makes it a real slog for me.

SamuraiFrog said...

It's in that "more realistic" vein of Netflix Marvel shows, but I don't think it's as grim as Jessica Jones. FWIW, I think the grim tone of Jones at least has real points to make about mental abuse. It's not fun, but it's not purposeless, which is my main problem with the DC movies.

Kelly Sedinger said...

Oh, I don't hold JJ's tone against it! Good noir is a wonderful thing, and JJ certainly was that. It's just not tonally something I can sit through a lot of, is all.

SamuraiFrog said...

I certainly understand that.