Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Ghostbusters Cupcakes

We did a lot of things in honor of my 40th birthday. We watched Stranger Things on Netflix, which was amazing. I got my stuffed birthday pizza and my "made with real sugar" Dr. Pepper that is my favorite soda that isn't Hippo Size or a Cherry Vanilla Coke. Becca gave me a haircut and a tee shirt, and for no real reason I got myself ordained in the Church of the Latter-Day Dude. Also, we went to see Ghostbusters, which I loved, and that inspired my birthday cake.


This year, instead of a cake, we made cupcakes. Ghostbusters-themed cupcakes.

This was an interesting project. Becca's idea was to make white cake cupcakes and then pour "slime" on them and top them with Ghostbusters marshmallows. I was just happy to have a baking project to work on together, because I haven't really baked in a really long time.

The first thing we did was determine the nature of the slime. We decided to make lemon curd, something I'd never done before. You make it using a double boiler, which is also something I've never done. We used this Alton Brown recipe, which btw calls for four lemons and then "if needed" some cold water to reach 1/3 of a cup. I don't know what kind of lemons Alton uses, but it only took us two lemons to get to 1/3 of a cup, and it tastes plenty lemony.

Also, we dyed them green using 10 drops of green food coloring and 3 drops of yellow food coloring, to give them a slime-green sheen.

When that was finished and the curd was chilling in the fridge, it was time to make the cupcakes. I'd never made white cake before, and that meant separating the egg whites from the egg yolks. Now, I'd always wanted to try... this:



I always see these kinds of gifs on Tumblr, swearing by this amazing lifehack that you can use a plastic water bottle to separate eggs. Like most lifehacks, I figure it was bullshit, but decided to try it. And it works! And it feels... weirdly satisfying. I don't know why. It's like performing satisfying science. Just wonderful stuff.

Later in the day, after the cupcakes had cooled, we did the frosting. I love making buttercream frosting in the mixer; it's easy, it takes about five or six minutes, and it tastes a lot better than what you buy in a store. Vanilla frosting, and Becca bought me piping bags for my birthday. When frosting was done, the lemon curd was added, and we had them: Ghostbusters Cupcakes. Hallelujah!

We topped them with some of those ginormous Ghostbusters marshmallows that Campfire Marshmallows has out this summer.

Stay Puft is disconcertingly excited about eating his fellow marshmallow ghosts.

Of course, if you want to, I recommend drinking them with a nice Hi-C Ecto Cooler, which has been another of my choice drinks of the summer of 2016.

All in all, a fun birthday project with delicious results, and a fun way to get some extra enjoyment out of the return of Ghostbusters.

1 comment:

Kelly Sedinger said...

You know, I'm wondering if you shouldn't become a baker. You appear to have a knack for it!