Sunday, June 05, 2016

Song of the Week: "Stand by Me"

I was saddened by the death of Muhammad Ali, and there has been an outpouring of grief on Tumblr, full of ruminations and tributes to his importance not just to pop culture, but to black history in America. I don't have anything to add to what I've been reading, except to say that I'm sorry he's gone, and to rest in power.

So for today, here's Ali's recording of Ben E. King's "Stand by Me" from 1963, recorded as part of the release of his album I Am the Greatest when he was still named Cassius Clay.


The album was a spoken word album; I think this song was recorded as a single. The opening track from I Am the Greatest, also called "I Am the Greatest," was actually released as a single, and I think (from what I can tell) later re-released as the B-side to "Stand by Me." Just for the hell of it, here's that fun track:


RIP Muhammad Ali.

No comments: