Saturday, June 18, 2016

Son of Answers

A couple of questions from Paradox Al:

1) *(Captain America: Civil War SPOILERS)* If Bucky is a metaphor of how people with mental illness are used & abused, then..is it really OK for Cap to simply let his friend "go to sleep" at the end of Civil War? (They could've had Scarlet Witch help gradually "heal" his mind, which would've mirrored Tony helping Rhodey recover)

I've been thinking about this question since you asked it, and I'm still not sure how I feel about that. I feel like having Wanda try and fix it with her powers is problematic; sort of like a second brainwashing to fix the first, or literally a "magic solution" to a serious cycle of trauma and abuse. Either way, that solution sort of removes some of Bucky's agency, which is what Zemo (and Hydra) did to him in the first place. I wonder if going back into cryo-sleep is supposed to be a metaphor for medical treatment (not a great one, if so, admittedly). But living with that kind of trauma and abuse in your past really can't be undone, so I'm glad they didn't try to fix it with a literal hand wave.

2) If every story needs a "point", then..what is the "point" of Game of Thrones? (The HBO series, not the books)


It's too early to say. If Game of Thrones has a point, I'm not sure it's there yet. It might take until the ending for every story point and the reasons behind them to become clear. My wife and I actually argue about this all the time, but with other TV shows, and I'm usually on the side of "I'll wait until at least the end of the season and see if where we end up justifies all the time and twisting it took to get there." My wife is usually not on that side. And that's how we ended up having a weird argument about the last season of Agents of SHIELD...

No comments: