Thursday, June 23, 2016

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

BEACH PARTY (1963)
The first of AIP's series of movies with Frankie and Annette. I really enjoyed it. It's kind of like a Disney movie of the same time period, but funnier and aimed at horny teenagers. This is one of those movies, too, where the sex comedy is sort of filtered through the lens of the older generation, and Bob Cummings is funny as an anthropologist trying to make sense of the beach culture. It's just a really cute movie, very sure of itself. Looks good, too; the copy I saw on Turner Classic Movies had great colors. Also dug the Vincent Price cameo. ***

3 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

They quickly discovered that the kids who were this movie's only, but huge, audience, didn't need or want the "Adult" plot with Bob Cummings, so that sort of adult storyline was omitted from all the rest of the Beach Party series.

Disney's contribution was refusing to allow Annette to wear a bikini. She was still under contract to him. So she never wears a bikini in any of the beach films.

Roger Owen Green said...

Like most males of a certain age, I crushed on Ms. Funicello big time.

SamuraiFrog said...

I did, too, because I had Disney Channel when it first started (I was 7 or 8) and used to watch The Mickey Mouse Club.