Thursday, June 16, 2016

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

THE CONJURING 2 (2016)
I really like these movies, and I hope they make more; the case files of Ed and Lorraine Warren are fertile ground for these kind of horror movies. Once again, Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga play the Warrens, and this one focuses a little more strongly on their love for one another and how their faith guides them (without getting preachy or precious, but instead as character elements). I will say that after the first movie, some of the CGI seems a little jarring and not in the style of the rest of the film, but it's still an effectively scary movie. This is based on the "true" story of the Enfield Haunting. I know it bothers some people that the movies treat these cases like they're real rather than exposing the Warrens as fraudsters, but it doesn't bother me. These movies are horror/action films with strong characterizations that tell their stories in a heightened way. And they're damn fun. ***1/2

WILLIE McBEAN AND HIS MAGIC MACHINE (1965)
Rankin-Bass' first theatrical stop-motion feature. My wife brought it home from a convention, having remembered it from her childhood, and it's damn hard to find info about. Cute movie about a boy and a monkey traveling through time to stop the dastardly Professor Rasputin Von Rotten from changing history. It drags even at 94 minutes, and some of the racial/national humor is dated even for 1965, but it's a cute movie. I really liked the dinosaurs and the fearful dragon in Arthurian times. **1/2

No comments: