Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Answers: The Last?

From Nik:

Your house is on fire; after all living people and creatures get out, what one thing do you grab and save?

Cliched answer, but the photo albums. I have all of the family photo albums for a project I've been working on.

There's a lot of dire and terrible '80s movie remakes in the last few years, but what one movie would you actually like to see a modern remake of?

Boy, and I just read this morning that Brian Grazer wants to produce a Splash remake... yikes. Not into it. My first instinct is to say Masters of the Universe, but I don't want a remake of that movie as much as I just want to see a balls-out crazy movie adaptation. Just a cosmic, satanic, sword and sandal and magic and laser guns movie that looks like it should be painted on the side of a van in 1978.

I would like to see a decent version of Firestarter, because there's probably some real potential to it but I just didn't like the 1984 movie that was made.

You go to another planet as part of an exploratory mission to see an alien civilisation. You get to bring one book with you that you can have translated into an alien tongue to give to the aliens as a book that sums up earth's culture best to you. What is the book?

America-centric answer, I think, but John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. I've never read anything else that so sharply and accurately delineates what it's like to be powerless.


And a couple of extras from Roger:

OK: Betty or Veronica? Ginger or Mary Ann? The UK or US The Office? The Beatles or the Stones? Rock, paper, or scissors? And finally, how much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck COULD chuck wood?

Veronica, Ginger, UK, both but the Beatles obviously have the higher quality catalog, scissors, and 4. Don't ask how I know, but 4. They have tiny hands.

And that's the end, unless anyone has any more. Thanks to everyone who asked!

2 comments:

Paradox Al said...

I feel like I'm waaay too late to this so I completely understand if you'd rather not continue with this whole Answers thing. Also..these are kind of "fanboy" questions, which I think you might be sick of. But here goes:

1) *(Captain America: Civil War SPOILERS)* If Bucky is a metaphor of how people with mental illness are used & abused, then..is it really OK for Cap to simply let his friend "go to sleep" at the end of Civil War? (They could've had Scarlet Witch help gradually "heal" his mind, which would've mirrored Tony helping Rhodey recover)


2) If every story needs a "point", then..what is the "point" of Game of Thrones? (The HBO series, not the books)

Again, I'm totally fine if you'd rather not answer these silly questions :)

Tallulah Morehead said...

"You go to another planet as part of an exploratory mission to see an alien civilisation. You get to bring one book with you that you can have translated into an alien tongue to give to the aliens as a book that sums up earth's culture best to you. What is the book?"

AUNTIE MAME, of course.