Sunday, May 29, 2016

Song of the Week: "Puff the Magic Dragon"

It's one of those things that's not "cool" to admit, but I've always loved this song. Like a lot of oversensitive, escapist little boys who grew up reading a lot of fantasy, there's always been an emotional connection there for me. I'd never heard this version of the song until recently, coming up on a playlist for one of those "radio" pages that I listen to on Tumblr throughout the day. This is Bonnie 'Prince' Billy from, as far as I can tell, 2005. I don't know much about him (real name Will Oldham) or how this recording came to be, but it sounds like a lost Donovan record and I like how it manages to actually be lovely and sincere without being soppy or making fun of the song. It's a song I've heard a lot in my life, and this version kind of gave it a spark that I just find charming.

No comments: