Friday, March 04, 2016

This Week in Neat-O

#FreeKesha

:: I ended up not watching Vinyl on HBO, but I really enjoyed the negative review Richard Hell wrote for Stereogum.

:: Roger's second look at The Black Comic Book.

:: The trailer for Hunt for the Wilderpeople is goddamn delightful.

:: 23 Things from The World of Ice and Fire That We'd Love to See on Game of Thrones

:: Lord Of The Rings: How Music Elevates Story

:: Donald Trump in New York: Deep Roots, but Little Influence

:: When Were Superheroes Grim and Gritty? A great essay from the Los Angeles Review of Books that gets at what I was getting at years ago in my post about why I loved the Watchmen movie so much (and why so many people didn't): that grim and gritty are the flipside of camp and irony.

:: In a similar vein, Devin Faraci's R-Rated Superhero Stories Are Inherently Revisionist. If you're making an R-rated cut of a movie about Batman and Superman, I feel like you don't understand Batman or Superman.

:: Donald Trump and the Crisis of White Identity. This is easily the most accurate analysis I've yet seen of why Donald Trump is so popular.

:: How Can Black People Trust Hillary Clinton After the 2008 Campaign? Not a fan of HRC, either, in large part because of things like this.

:: The one thing I can't forgive Playboy for getting rid of? Cartoons.

:: What It’s Really Like To Work In Hollywood* (*If You’re Not A White, Straight Man)

:: “You Will Be Tokenized”: Speaking Out About the State of Diversity in Publishing

:: The Culture of Meanness

:: I have zero desire to see Gods of Egypt, but io9's horrified review is pretty hilarious.

:: However, I loved the Ghostbusters trailer.

No comments: