Sunday, March 27, 2016

Song of the Week: "Sing Your Praise to the Lord"

When I was a kid, I was in a youth group at my Lutheran church. We're talking retreats, musicals, choir, all kinds of stuff. It's kind of funny because after that, when I turned 18, I pretty much just stopped being religious at all. But for some reason I decided to post this for Easter. It reminds me of that time period, the early 90s, even though the song itself is from 1982. This is a specific song that my youth group thought was really cool in all its dorky earnestness. And it's not a bad song at all, but it's also a dorkily earnest song, come on. It sounds like the opening number from a misguided contemporary Christian musical from 1971, like someone saw Godspell and wasn't sure what worked about it but wanted to pour their hearts out. Hey, there's room for it. My Mom and apparently a lot of other moms at that church had Amy Grant's best-of album The Collection, and this and "El Shaddai" were the ones all the kids like. And this does sound like Stephen Sondheim compared to this damn musicals we were in.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

The only Amy Grant I own is a Christmas LP with one Art Garfunkel. I'll have to find that.