Friday, February 26, 2016

This Week in Neat-O

I've been neglecting my blog outlets and slowly coming back, so there isn't much out there that I have saved up for this feature. I did find this, though, and feel impelled to share it here by my passion for creatures.

This is a profile for Vice about Phil Tippett called My Life in Monsters. I want to be Phil when I grow up. He's always been a hero of mine, ever since I was a little kid and re-creating Jabba's throne room with my toys and models. There's a nice arc in here about his film work, although it skips over RoboCop, which has some of my favorite Tippett animation. After his Prehistoric Creature short it goes right to Jurassic Park, the movie which Tippett had a lot of anxiety over because he thought he'd helped kill stop-motion animation. I always felt like he saved it, to an extent; certainly his solution to realistic computer modeling was innovative.

Like me, Tippett suffers from anxiety and depression, which is a revelation and an inspiration to me. He's currently working on a film called Mad God which I very much hope I get to see some day.

Anyway, here it is. It runs about 22 minutes. Have a neat weekend!

No comments: