Friday, February 12, 2016

This Week in Neat-O

:: Jim Henson’s Newly Discovered Journal Reveals The Muppets’ Fascinating Backstory. It's a satirical website, but this made me laugh a disconcerting amount. ("I want to eat the Muppets because they are delicious.")

:: Winona, Forever. An interesting piece on why we never just let Winona Ryder grow up. I think sometimes about what happened to Winona Ryder's career, and Soraya Roberts probably hits it here.

:: This entire debate about the Oscars and diversity is really making people say bizarrely stupid things. Meryl Streep was the latest this week. Her bizarre "we're all Africans, really" thing... oddly, StarWipe had the best take on it: Meryl Streep Says, “We’re All Africans Really,” So Now White People Get That Too.

:: The Super Bowl happened, and though I don't watch it, some of the movie trailers that aired got me excited. Like you haven't seen them yet, but just in case, I particularly dug the Captain America: Civil War teaser, the Independence Day: Resurgence teaser (a movie that seems inessential as hell, yet which I'm surprisingly xazzed for), a glimpse of Krang in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows clip, another intrigueresting hint of 10 Cloverfield Lane, and the one I'm most excited for, The Jungle Book. I don't know, man. When I first heard about this, I kind of rolled my eyes a little, because Disney is doing its big super-serious versions of its old cartoons, but I really, really want to see this one. Here's the trailer.

:: As for the commercials this year... the luster of the Super Bowl Commercial kind of wore off this year, didn't it? The few I dug: the Apartments.com "Movin' On Up" commercial that mainly succeeds on Goldblum charm, the Hyundai commercial that mostly succeeds on Kevin Hart's charm, the Coca-Cola commercial with Ant-Man and the Hulk (because this is me, so of course I thought it was cute, even if it plays like a sponsored DVD extra), and my clear fave, Heinz' "Wiener Stampede."

:: Jane Seymour’s Guide to Romantic Living Hoped to Resurrect Romance in the Desolate '80s. Her book is the weirdest 80s lady thing I've seen since Angela Lansbury's video about sensuality. (Make sure to watch it until Jessica Fletcher more or less masturbates in the tub.)

:: Watch over a hundred vintage Star Wars toy commercials from Kenner. Come on, you didn't have anything to do today.

:: Vanity Fair has a profile about Kathleen Kennedy, someone I've long been fascinated by, ever since I read The Making of Jurassic Park a dozen times in the summer of 1993. She's just been involved with so many of my favorite creature/FX movies that I was really happy that she was made president of Lucasfilm.

:: Here's the trailer for the Roots remake. The original miniseries was amazing. I'm undecided about watching the remake.

:: I Will Not Root for Ryan Reynolds

I am pretty tired of the onslaught of Force Awakens trailer mash-ups, but this one is probably my favorite. Helps that it's the best season of the new Doctor Who.

No comments: