Thursday, February 04, 2016

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

MOON (2009)
I went into this cold. Though some people have told me to check it out the last few years, I didn't know anything about it except that Sam Rockwell played a miner on the moon, and it was directed by David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones. This movie really fucked me up. I haven't even seen a movie since then because it just really, really hurt. Rockwell is just on the moon, alone save for an artificial intelligence (voiced by Kevin Spacey with a perfect kind of detachment that emphasizes the lack of genuine human presence), and coming to the end of a three-year mining contract. His real-time communications are cut off, but he's plugging on, busying himself with building a model and sending messages to his family. He's also beginning to hallucinate. Then there's an accident, and from there... Well, it gets weird, it gets heady, and it gets pretty bleak. Now, it's an excellent science fiction movie. But it also happened to contemplate a lot of the issues I'm having a hard time with right now, such as what the value of life is and the inhumanity of corporations. And it does it in such a personal way, through the slow awakening of someone who just... wants to go home. It's beautiful, but it's hard. It touches on things that remind me of where I was mentally long before I sought help. Like I said, it fucked me up, but it really moved me. ****

2 comments:

Autumn said...

I went into that film knowing nothing about it and it was intense and great and I don't know that I ever want to watch it again. I love to read old sci-fi novels and this felt just like some of the best. I can't really explain why but it's something about the pace of the information given to you, the way they build up the character for you, how straightforward and good he is, and then watching his reaction to the discoveries he makes and the way they pace that as well. And how it changes him but doesn't change his character at all.

The movie isn't slow at all and yet by the end you feel like you have spent so much time with it. Again like a novel you get to the end and there isn't any more story to add to it, but you aren't quite ready to let go of it emotionally. This movie kept me down for days afterwards and made me less fun to be around. But it really was excellent...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I loved this one a lot for many of the same reasons you do. The secrets are held close to the vest on this one but when they are revealed it's very rewarding and it all made sense in a cold corporate kind of way. One of my favorites.