Tuesday, February 23, 2016

AT-AT

So, putting together the Lego AT-AT is easily the most complex thing I've ever built. The last time I ever bought a Lego set was in the 1990s, and this one is so much more intricate than any I've ever had. So many pegs! I've never had a Lego set that required two 70+ page instruction manuals before. It was quite an experience!

This was the second Lego set Chris (aka Some Guy) generously mailed to me as a Christmas surprise. It took me about five hours to put together, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

I did this on Friday instead of getting on my computer. We were having hurricane force winds that day, over 60 mph gusts, so the power kept going out in a lot of places. Rather than deal with the inevitable frustration of that, after I got home from weekly therapy I decided to just sit, binge watch a show, and work on this project. I didn't expect it to take as long as it did, but I tried to work some breaks in there to walk around a bit... particularly after I sat for far too long and my calves cramped up rather painfully. Oops!

Anyway, I'm glad it took a while and kept me concentrating on something for the entire day. I still can't believe I have this thing in my house and got to build it... Damn, I love Legos.

Thanks so much, Chris. It's been a bit of a hard time, what with my anxiety and that business with hurting myself and just dealing with an... overwhelming amount of stuff to do lately.

Becca took these pictures with my new tablet. (It came with the new phone plan.) You can see one of her tiki masks there, with some Buddhist prayer beads.

This just makes me want to put all of my old Lego sets together, because I'm having so much darn fun doing these. All of the Legos I've ever had for the last 30+ years are just in one gigantic tub, and I've always dreamed of separating them out. When we first moved in here (2001!) I started putting my pirate ship together, but then I felt guilty because we weren't fully unpacked, so I put them in the closet and have never taken them out again.

Maybe it's time to just do that for myself.

3 comments:

Some Guy said...

Like you, this was the most complicated LEGO set I ever built. It took me about the same amount of time and was a fucking blast! I love how the legs articulate and I tried to pose it in every possible position. I was worried that the pieces would be really contrived in order to achieve the desired effect, but I was happy to see that many of the pieces I was familiar with were still in use and remained relatively simple. Yeah, all those pegs!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I know what you mean about having a fun project to do. The first fifty of so action figures I bought in the 90s I opened the packages and now have TWO tubs full of loose figures and all their accessories. When I need to relax I get away from the computer and go into the Cave downstairs, put on a movie and go through the tubs and collect all the pieces into their own plastic bags. The eventual goal is to fill up the nice cabinets I got a few months ago. I wish I had more wall space and shelves for everything so I don't have to store anything in tubs. Glad to see you fight to find things to enjoy and bring your soul some joy, my brother.

Roger Owen Green said...

I have no skills in this area. Go forth and have fun!