Friday, January 15, 2016

This Week in Neat-O

:: An oral history of Now That's What I Call Music

:: Alan Sepinwall interviews Kristin Newman, the new showrunner for The Muppets, about her plans for the remaining episodes. What she has to say is interesting; I think the show's been getting better over time, and her plans sound more like a slight re-tooling than a reboot (honestly, the word "reboot" has become so meaningless the way it gets thrown around). I still bristle at a lot of the criticisms of the show, I think partially because so many people seem to really, truly not want the Muppets to be actual characters but to be always-likable whimsy machines. But Newman was in charge on the Christmas episode last month, which was probably my second favorite ep so far, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

:: Devin Faraci has some beautiful thoughts about what David Bowie meant to him.

:: The new trailer for The Witch is so good I wish I was watching the movie right now.

:: A video interview with Ahmed Best about Jar Jar Binks. His perspective is interesting, and I always like to hear him do the voice. I loved it when Jar Jar would show up on Clone Wars. A teeny tiny part of me will always hold out hope for a Rebels appearance... hey, Hondo showed up, so why not? So did Lando, And Vader. And Yoda. And Princess Leia is going to be on the next episode.

:: Speaking of Rebels, if you're watching it because, you know, you're a Star Wars fan, here's the trailer for the second half of season two.

:: An interesting article on fan theories and why they suck (particularly the Star Wars ones), which parses out why the classic film twists work. I almost never say this about anything, but there's a really interesting discussion in the comments about it, too.

Meanwhile, sites continue to discuss whether or not toys and tee shirts are giving away key plot points, then pride themselves on predicting those plot points, and then get angry with the movies themselves for not having harder-to-guess plot points...

I think my favorite (/sarcasm) fan theory about Supreme Leader Snoke in The Force Awakens is that he's an Inquisitor from Star Wars Rebels, because people were so dismissive about "Would Lucasfilm really introduce such an important character on some Disney XD series?" Like... Boba Fett was introduced on the Holiday Special. Of course, Boba Fett isn't an important character, so...

:: The trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane is pretty damn effective.

RIP Alan Rickman

No comments: