Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie 1947-2016

Well... I guess I thought he'd live forever.

One of my artistic idols. One of my heroes. Bowie is my God, I've said a million times.

David Bowie died last night... not something I ever imagined myself saying.

Back at Barnes & Noble, playing his music all day, probably to the point where some people I worked with never wanted to hear David Bowie again, I used to talk about how so much of pop culture owed itself to this man. He left some DNA in every modern music genre; starting as an Anthony Newley-style folkie, he became one of the faces of glam, one of the satellites of the new romantic, was right there at the birth of new wave, and embraced new age, industrial, jungle, art rock, krautrock, ambient, electronic music, blue-eyed soul, world music, post-punk, alternative, techno, even jazz. He constantly reinvented himself on his own terms, and I just admired it so much.

David Bowie was my hero the same way Jim Henson was my hero.

What a loss for our music and our art.

Not a great start, 2016. A world with Bowie is a lesser world.

And the stars look very different today...

From "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide": Oh no, love, you're not alone, no matter what or who you've been, no matter when or where you've seen, all the knives seem to lacerate your brain, I've had my share, I'll help you with the pain... You're not alone!

Growing up, I was a weirdo. I'm still a weirdo. It's just that I have the internet now and kind find fellow weirdos. David Bowie made this weirdo feel not alone. And in high school, when I most needed to know it.

Damn.

4 comments:

Devilham said...

someone posted a thing on facebook, to remind us that the world is 4 billion years old, and we were lucky enough to be alive during the years Bowie was. I like that

SamuraiFrog said...

I like that, too. I like that a lot.

Roger Owen Green said...

Damn is right. I won Hunky Dory from my college radio station in 1971. My roomie HATED it, except for CHANGES, but I rather liked it all.

SamuraiFrog said...

I used to play that album often at work, and I was probably the only person who worked in that room who never got sick of it.