Sunday, December 13, 2015

Song of the Week: "Ríu Ríu Chíu"

I just sort of randomly came across this song on Tumblr a day or two ago. This performance of this Spanish Christmas carol appears at the end of the Christmas episode of The Monkees that I end up catching a lot of years. This is always my favorite part; I remember first encountering it when I was 9 or 10 years old (I used to love this show in reruns, and one of the first cassettes I ever bought with my own money was Then and Now: The Best of the Monkees) and being stunned by its quiet beauty. I grew up with my Mom's old folk records, and so I was already predisposed to love this kind of song, and seeing the Monkees pull this out was something else. Now I know that their producer, Chip Douglas, had already performed this traditional song with his former band The Modern Folk Quartet and brought them this one for "The Monkees' Christmas Show."

4 comments:

Ebon Krieg said...

I will be reading your thoughts regularly. I have an affinity for you and I may share some of your anxieties. I want you to know that you are appreciated and I thank you for your thoughts.

SamuraiFrog said...

Thank you.

Friend Mouse said...

That's lovely - I don't think I've ever heard it before. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Roger Owen Green said...

This is gorgeous. I may have heard it before, but it had left my consciousness.