Sunday, December 27, 2015

Fudge

I'm still having trouble sleeping, so I've been waking up very early again. So the first thing Becca and I did early on Christmas morning was make some candy.

I talked recently about how my Grandma used to bake cookies and make fudge for everyone right up until she passed away. I miss receiving those tins of goodies, because they were one of the things we looked forward to ass kids every year. My favorite thing she sent was the fudge, and I've barely had any since she died in January 2000. So this year, Becca looked up a recipe, and we set about making it.

I have to say, I was surprised how easy the recipe was. Somehow I always thought there was something arcane and mystical about it, some kind of complicated process like making taffy. Until we just went ahead and did it ourselves, I had no idea that fudge even had marshmallows in it. Literally no idea how it got made. The whole thing took about 20 minutes, and then the hours of letting it chill and set. Easy peasy. And now that I know that, you bet your ass I'm going to experiment in the future with different kinds of chips and see what kind of fudge I can make.

Well, that was my Christmas tribute to my late Grandma. Turned out pretty darn great.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

My wife makes fudge for her father for Christmas every year. this year, she mucked it up, putting in TWICE as much butter as required. The product is WAY to sweet, but oddly is usable, if heated, as a topping on ice cream, et al.

SamuraiFrog said...

That sounds like a great topping for ice cream. I could go for a sundae right now, honestly.