Thursday, October 29, 2015

Muncherdammerung!

I love making jack o'lanterns. It's the only time of year I get to sit, design, create, and fabricate a creature. Last year's pumpkin creature, Nabiru, was my first time adding a prop into the mix. This year, I decided that instead of carving the pumpkin, I was going to paint it for the first time.

My idea was to go a little minimalist and create something emoji-like. So I thought... ghost. I've been seeing a lot of minimalist ghosts on Tumblr, and they're very cute. But then I wanted to do something more than just plain white with dot eyes, and I thought... ghost pig.

And so was born this year's pumpkin: Muncherdammerung.

I live in a farm town, so I'm sure there are ghost pigs floating around somewhere. Mine was achieved with white paint. I thought about carving him and hollowing out the ears, nose and mouth, and then using part of a plastic bottle so the nose would stick out. But that just seemed like a repeat of what I did last year, so I thought a while about how I could get some prop action out of the nose and ears.

What I ended up doing with the ears is cutting them out of cardboard and painting them. To get them to stick, I came up with the idea of unfolding a large paper clip half way, taping the ears to the clip, and then simply skewering it into the pumpkin itself. Went right in the exact amount I needed it to.

For the nose, I used the cap of a prescription pill bottle. I did the same paper clip trick, unfolding two halfway, then taping them into the underside of the cap, and shoved it right into the pumpkin. Then I painted over it white with a wide brush. It took about four coats to cover the instructions on the top completely. Then I just waited until the paint dried and painted on the eyes and the line mouth (you know I love my Charles M. Schulz-style line mouths), and painted the pumpkin stalk. I'm saying it's a little tuft of hair for personality.

It was fun to make. We watched movies, ate pizza, and painted pumpkins last night.

Muncherdammerung is a little nonplussed to find himself in a ghostly state, but I think he's starting to accept it.

Becca painted her pumpkin again this year, taking inspiration from one of the movies we watched last night.

Damn, she's good.

Painting was a different experience than carving. I already have a plan in mind for next year that involves carving, painting, and prop work, so we'll see how that turns out.

And there're our 2015 jack o'lanterns.

4 comments:

Jez In Dallas said...

That is a seriously awesome piece from Becca(yours is cool too!) Would she be willing/able to do something commission based on a plastic/not real pumpkin so I could keep it forever and ever? There would be no rush as I would display it year round. I’m thinking something with various horror icons? I’m a sucker for Halloween decorations year round (I have a scream mask, Jason mask, and machete on my wall in addition to many other things)

Kelly Sedinger said...

Wow!!!

Becca said...

@Jez in Dallas- Can you say dream come true? I would LOVE to do a project like that! Send me an email we'll talk! Ladygorgon@yahoo.com

Roger Owen Green said...

She IS good!