I love making jack o'lanterns. It's the only time of year I get to sit, design, create, and fabricate a creature. Last year's pumpkin creature, Nabiru, was my first time adding a prop into the mix. This year, I decided that instead of carving the pumpkin, I was going to paint it for the first time.
My idea was to go a little minimalist and create something emoji-like. So I thought... ghost. I've been seeing a lot of minimalist ghosts on Tumblr, and they're very cute. But then I wanted to do something more than just plain white with dot eyes, and I thought... ghost pig.
And so was born this year's pumpkin: Muncherdammerung.
What I ended up doing with the ears is cutting them out of cardboard and painting them. To get them to stick, I came up with the idea of unfolding a large paper clip half way, taping the ears to the clip, and then simply skewering it into the pumpkin itself. Went right in the exact amount I needed it to.
For the nose, I used the cap of a prescription pill bottle. I did the same paper clip trick, unfolding two halfway, then taping them into the underside of the cap, and shoved it right into the pumpkin. Then I painted over it white with a wide brush. It took about four coats to cover the instructions on the top completely. Then I just waited until the paint dried and painted on the eyes and the line mouth (you know I love my Charles M. Schulz-style line mouths), and painted the pumpkin stalk. I'm saying it's a little tuft of hair for personality.
It was fun to make. We watched movies, ate pizza, and painted pumpkins last night.
Becca painted her pumpkin again this year, taking inspiration from one of the movies we watched last night.
Painting was a different experience than carving. I already have a plan in mind for next year that involves carving, painting, and prop work, so we'll see how that turns out.
And there're our 2015 jack o'lanterns.