Wednesday, October 14, 2015

HALLOWEEN: Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts

This Halloween season, I decided I'd try the limited edition seasonal Frosted Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts. I like Pop-Tarts. I like pumpkin pie. I was sure I'd love them together.

But... no. Somehow, these Pop-Tarts left me cold. It was great to try them (and they were on sale, cheep!), but they just tasted like a big nothing to me.

See, pumpkin pie is my favorite of all the pies. Every late September through late December, I make a bunch of pumpkin pies, because it's just one of the things that makes the season for me.

I guess it's because I'm used to biting into a thick pumpkin pie with its rich flavor that I found the Pop-Tarts equivalent to be kind of a nothing. It didn't really emulate the flavor for me. It tasted kind of citrus-y, but mostly it tasted like pastry with a begrudging smattering of filling. Not what I expect from a Pop-Tart, honestly, and not at all what I expect from limited edition Halloween food. As I keep saying, what I like about Halloween food is that is usually tastes freshly made. (It's the reason why I really only want Oreos at Halloween.) Becca said there was too much ginger and not enough complimentary "pumpkin spices" to balance it out, but that lack of satisfying filling just killed it for me.

Oh, well. They can't all be winners.

You know what does make me happy, though? Cheetos Bag of Bones are back! That was one of the big winners of last year's Halloween season for me, and I'm pleased to report that they taste just as great in 2015 as they did in 2014. They make me giddy, just like that banner, which I stole from the official Cheetos Facebook page.

So, while I am disappointed in the Pop-Tarts, there are Cheetos Bones to be had! And pumpkin pie to be made!

No comments: