Wednesday, October 07, 2015

HALLOWEEN: The Halloween Whopper

You know one of my chief joys during October is special edition Halloween food, so when Burger King decided to introduce a Halloween Whopper, I knew I was going to have to eat it at some point. Everyone else has been sharing their pictures and experiences, so... well, here's mine.

As you can see, I also got onion rings and a cherry Icee. A little treat for me; I love Icees, but I don't have them often, and since I'm on a sugar high right now, I'm reminded why.

I'm actually not much of a Burger King fan, so I haven't had any in years. They just remodeled our local place so it looks less like the kind of place where you're going to get knifed during a drug deal gone wrong, and since this is a new, special thing for Halloween, I figured BK would try a little harder. As I've said before, one of the things I love about special edition Halloween food is that it tastes fresher, rather than like something that's been sitting in a warehouse (or whatever the BK equivalent is).

The black bun is actually pretty beautiful. I thought it was going to be off-putting, but it's got a great color to it. My photo doesn't really do it justice (there's a lot of sun today), so you'll have to take my word for it. This one has A1 Steak Sauce on it, as well as baked into the bun, and wow, it really makes all the difference. It has a rich, smokey flavor, which is something I've never, ever said about a fast food burger. They should consider keeping that a regular component of the Whopper, because it just adds so much to the overall experience of eating it. I ate it about 40 minutes ago, and I can still feel that heat in my throat and taste it a little in my mouth, and I don't hate it. It's hot, so the Icee was a pretty good combination for it.

This may be the only time I eat one, but I would gladly have another if the time and money worked out. It's a nice treat, particularly after a really hard, really emotional therapy session. Burger King went all out on this one, and you can taste the difference. It might not make me a BK convert--I was born a McDonald's kid, I'll die a McDonald's kid, and probably early from all of the McDonald's I've eaten--but this was easily the most rewarding Burger King has been for me since they had Return of the Jedi glasses back in '83.

Oh, and by the way: I cannot yet attest to whether it will turn my waste green, but Gizmodo has an article that explains why it happens, if you're interested. Science!

No comments: