Sunday, September 13, 2015

Song of the Week: "King of the Hill"

This is actually how I discovered the Byrds, weirdly enough. In 1991, when I was fourteen or so, this new single, from Roger McGuinn's new album, Back from Rio, hit VH1. At first, I thought maybe it was some kind of new Traveling Wilburys thing, but it was Tom Petty making a guest appearance (and co-writing) on McGuinn's album. I didn't know who Roger McGuinn was, so I looked him up in a book and found out he was in the band that did "Turn! Turn! Turn!" which I knew and liked. None of this is really my Mom's kind of music, so I had to get some Byrds stuff from the library, and some of it I knew from Dylan, and their whole sound kind of blew me away. Still does. And this song led me right into it.

I couldn't find the video on YouTube, but I remember seeing it a bit on VH1. It starred Charles Rocket. I had this song on cassingle. Gosh, remember those? I had a lot of them. But I still really dig this song.

No comments: