Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

SHARKNADO 3: OH HELL NO! (2015)
I've talked in the past about why I despise these smug shrugs that pass as cultural events. This is the cinematic equivalent of a Chipotle-induced shart. It's so sure you love it that it doesn't even bother with anything like fun. It's just cool, man. It's a commercial for Universal Studios Orlando, but hey, have some Subway and get on Twitter and pretend you just had your mind blown, god damn it. Just... just fuck this thing and this whole cynical enterprise.

KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (1962)
Ah, something genuinely fun. Only the third Godzilla flick, this is one of the most enjoyable of the original Godzilla series that I've seen. It's silly, sure, but it doesn't take itself seriously, and it adds considerable comic relief over the first two movies. I do wish I could just see the Japanese version... I don't know what it is with the American edits, but whoever looks at a movie where a giant rubber gorilla and a giant rubber lizard beat the crap out of each other and says "You know what this movie needs? Lots of momentum-breaking footage of laid back, clearly bored white Americans explaining what's happening to the audience because apparently King Kong fighting Godzilla needs contextualization to prevent boredom!" needs a hard, bracing slap. Especially loved Ichiro Arishima adding a comic layer as Mr. Tako, the high strung, inept TV exec. ***

4 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

I saw King Kong vs Godzilla in a theater in the summer of 1963 (which is when it hit Los Angeles). It was a Saturday matinee and it was packed! It seemed like every kid I knew on earth was in the audience. (I had just turned 13.) It was like a football game. Everyone was cheering Kong and booing Godzilla. I mean loudly. It was a gloriously silly fun afternoon. A month later, my family moved 40 miles away, so I never saw some of those kids again. It is now one of those rosy joyful memories of my youth.

Roger Owen Green said...

Sharknado - I do not get it. I more don't get that the fact that I don't get it means something uncool about me, especially with so many different venues for pop culture.

William Mercado said...

Growing up in the 70s I always looked forward to Thanksgiving, two days of Kaiju movies on WOR TV one of them being King Kong Vs Godzilla and good food

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/holidayfilmfest.htm

SamuraiFrog said...

Neat tradition; I don't remember if they did anything like that in Chicago. I used to watch Godzilla movies on local TV on weekend afternoons with my Dad, so seeing King Kong vs. Godzilla and, several months ago, King Kong Escapes on Svengoolie was just like those weekend afternoons.