Friday, June 12, 2015

This Week in Neat-O

:: My favorite of Disney Junior's Muppet Moments so far. Very cute.

:: Speaking of Muppets, here's Cookie Monster in another Crumby Pictures parody: Jurassic Cookie.

:: An oral history of one of my all time favorite movies, The Right Stuff.

:: A Complete Guide To The Mythical History Of Westeros

:: Why Franklin Richards Is The Most Ridiculous Character In All Of Comics

:: I haven't seen Tomorrowland, and I'm not sure if I'm even interested at this point, but when I do see it, it will probably be long after it's been on DVD. io9 has an interesting article (spoilers if you're being careful) about the film's supposed optimism.

:: The trailer for The Martian. I have mixed feelings about it. I read the book a second time, and it actually reads as much more exciting if you skip over all of the stuff that doesn't take place on Mars until the action climax. It's much more remote, much more a story of survival, if you don't have all of this stuff going on outside of it that breaks up the tension. It's the same in this trailer; all of the stuff with Matt Damon on Mars is fascinating and exciting, and all of the stuff with Jessica Chastain or on Earth is dull with people staring off, feeling the precious importance of the plot and their place in it, and I'm just not into that.

:: Teasers for Disney's Zootopia (which is super-obnoxious) and Pixar's The Good Dinosaur. I once thought I'd never get tired of Disney and Pixar, but that certainly did not prove to be the case.

:: Undecided on The Man from UNCLE, though I'll probably watch it when it comes on HBO. Some of the vibe I'm getting off it is reminding me a little too much of Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman as poor excuses for The Avengers. (Plus, I found Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes tedious.)

:: Lego Jurassic World is finally here, and Lego Avengers is coming! I need money!

6 comments:

MC said...

Lego Marvel Superheroes was the MCU crossover movie I always wanted.

SamuraiFrog said...

They got the Marvel crossover right: lots of characters, lots of villains, Stan Lee cameos, and yet somehow way too much focus on Spider-Man and Wolverine. I enjoyed the hell out of that game. If there's a sequel, I'm hoping for a Thanos, but I can't complain too much about a game that lets me run around New York as Howard the Duck, blowing stuff up with a rocket launcher.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Since I've not read any of Martin's Song of Fire and Ice books, and have just begun watching the TV series this year (Powering through the first four seasons just before the fifth began), I found that piece on the history of Westeros very interesting. I had no idea that he'd filled in thousands of years of faux-history for the books, easily as huge as the 10,000 years of backstory in Middle-Earth. Thank you for posting that link.

SamuraiFrog said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I haven't been able to get The World of Ice & Fire book yet, which people keep calling Martin's Silmarillion.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Well, now I have to thank you back. I did not know of Martin's World of Fire and Ice book. Clearly I'm going to have try reading the books, and that book may well help very much. I reread The Silmarillion a few months ago, enjoying it mroe than I had originally, when it first came out.

The only book of Martin's I've ever read was Fevre Dream, a vampire novel set on a Mississippi river boat in the 19th century, that I thought was excellent. (And I read a few of his short stories in Twilight Zone Magazine roughly 30 years ago.

The season finale last night really blew me away. Cersei's walk of shame gave me ENORMOUS respect for Lena Headey. Even though a body double was employed for a number of shots (And props to her also), that sequence, which took three days to shoot, must have been almost as hellacious to act as it would be to experience for real.

SamuraiFrog said...

When the first book came out nearly 20 years ago, I only knew Martin as the author of "Sandkings," and then mainly because it had been the basis for the premiere episode of Showtime's revival of The Outer Limits. I've been reading the novels a second time, slowly, for a while now, because there are a lot of different subplots and clues to history (and reflections in the future) that are streamlined or ignored by the show for the sake of the adaptation. I'm currently reading the fourth and fifth books concurrently; someone posted a suggested reading order that puts the events chronologically, and except for one chapter in the fifth book being largely repetitive of one in the fourth, it is a better flow. The writer's block is still evident, but it does read better that way.

I also recommend tracking down some of the novellas Martin has written that take place about two generations before the main timeline. It's a rich world.