Sunday, June 28, 2015

Song of the Week: "Coming Around Again"

Carly Simon had a birthday this week, and Roger posted a list of favorite Carly Simon songs. I like Carly Simon, and it got me to thinking of the first song of hers that I remember hearing. This one was new in 1986, from the Jack Nicholson movie Heartburn, and I remember seeing this video several times on MTV. Like you do when you're a kid, I figured she was someone new. The song was nice and catchy, and I wonder if I was unconsciously responding to the way it has a sampling of "Itsy Bitsy Spider," a song I (at 10) had heard and would've made this sound comfortingly familiar to me. Simon also did that live concert in '87 at Martha's Vineyard which they used to show often on HBO.

Apparently my Dad was really into Carly Simon, particularly when he was a teenager, and of course I'm not referring to her music. So my Mom just kind of rolled her eyes that her son was suddenly enjoying a song of hers with no prompting from Dad.

No comments: