Monday, June 22, 2015

A Brief Note of Irritation

I've been reading an awful lot of what I can only call Confederacy apologia lately, particularly on Facebook. This is apparently the thing we've all decided to argue about in regards to the recent racist terrorism in Charleston. So I'm seeing a lot of embarrassing and disappointing posts that are all along the lines of watching somebody bend themselves into pretzel shapes to try and explain away why slavery wasn't that bad, a system of government set up to preserve an economic system that depended on Black slave labor wasn't inherently racist, and how flying a flag that's a symbol of treason and racism is just some kind of tradition and doesn't have any other meaning except, I don't know, heritage or some selfish bullshit.

I am sick of reading these posts and I am not going to argue them. They're not worth it.

I am going to say: blow it out your ass.

Blow that disingenuous shit right out of your ass.

I will not entertain your parsing of history and symbols just to try and excuse why racism is okay or somehow doesn't exist.

Because that's really what you're arguing. Yes, you all agree, the murder of nine human beings in a church--a specific church that has historically been a target of racist violence, and thus was chosen by a racist for its symbolic historical value, so obviously symbols mean something--but, you seem to all be saying, let's not be hasty and blame racism and the Confederate treason and the long history of American slavery and gun culture, because, gee, is the flag that stands for rebellion against our system of government and the dehumanizing of Black Americans really emblematic of a pervasive racism that exists in the American system?

I can't do it. I can't reason with such sad stupidity. I'm too old and too goddamn tired to pretend that you have a point that's worth any kind of discussion.

You're a moron and I don't want to hear your moron ravings and pretend everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter how morally repugnant.

So, sorry I can't offer something more reasoned and more evenhanded, but blow it out your ass.

If that means you can't read my blog anymore, well, bye.

6 comments:

Bob Rutledge said...

Hear, hear.

Tallulah Morehead said...

I agree. It doesn't deserve anything more reasoned than "Blow it out your ass." Because those southern apologists KNOW that it's bullshit. They're intentionally lying.

Carl said...

It doesn't surprise me anymore that people are racist. Yes, it does exist, and yes, it saddens me. But surprise me? No. What DOES surprise me is that in the 21st century, there are people that take PRIDE in being racist, and genuinely don't understand why people have a problem with it.

Friend Mouse said...

Couldn't have said it better - so thank you for saying it.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Well said as usual. I can't wait to wipe my ass with that shit rag.

Roger Owen Green said...

See my blog Wednesday...