Friday, May 22, 2015

This Week in Neat-O

I stayed out of this week's fan outrage, this time about Game of Thrones, but two writers have really put into words how I felt about the whole thing. I never really want to debate with the fans anymore, because it all devolves so quickly, and I also felt like, as a man, it wasn't my place to really get into the rape culture conversation the way it was being presented. Amanda Marcotte and Alyssa Rosenberg both had some very interesting things to say about it, and I highly recommend both pieces.

:: I enjoyed Taylor Swift's new video. I honestly thought "Bad Blood" was going to be a lame choice for a next single, but I didn't realize it was going to be remixed. Great cameos and genre references.

:: I also enjoyed this Bhi Bhiman video, "Moving to Brussels," which features Keegan-Michael Key doing a riff on JK Simmons' performance in Whiplash. Key is kind of one of my favorite people alive right now.

:: John Seavey has an idea for a sitcom that I would watch the hell out of.

:: The longer trailer for Pixels. I feel a little better about how stupid-fun I think it looks now that I know Chris Columbus directed it. I know he's made some real garbage, but to me he's still the guy who wrote Gremlins and The Goonies. Plus, this trailer gives me a glimpse of Ashley Benson, and I do love my glimpses of Ashley Benson.

:: Some light animated fare: the trailer for the Shaun the Sheep movie, from Aardman. I used to love that TV series so much. Aardman is the best.

:: Yeah, the Batkid Begins trailer worked on me.

:: The genre news sites are pretty polarized on the trailer for Scream Queens. I hope it's second season of American Horror Story crazy and not fourth season of American Horror Story tedious.

:: Wow, do I hate that new Hamburglar.

:: Roger has some interesting thoughts about libraries and file-sharing. I've been a little curious about how it works when you check out an e-book.

:: The Groundbreaking History Of Star Wars Toys

:: My god, yes! A definitive oral history of Industrial Light & Magic!

:: Simon Pegg clarifies his thoughts on science fiction in an insightful blog post.

:: Here's What Sharks Do When You Give Them Cameras

2 comments:

Devilham said...

I don't watch GoT myself, but read Amanda's article and really liked it as well (I have a brain crush on her), glad you liked her points as well

Tallulah Morehead said...

I had no idea there was a controversy raging over the final scene of last week's Game of Thrones, nor can I see the slightest justification for a controversy. Hardly the first rape in the series (Did Daneryis Barathion look like she was enjoying her wedding night back in season one?), and frankly, showing bad people (And Ramsey Bolton is about as crazy a raving sadist as you could hope to find) doing bad things isn't exactly an outrage. What show do these people think they are watching? It's not like the show endorses rape.

Folks need to grow up before they watch adult programs.