Via Jaquandor and Roger.
• A-Available/Single? Married and socially awkward, but if Kristen Bell is okay with that than so am I. (She's not.)
• B-Best Friend? Carl and I have been best friends for an incredibly long amount of time now. Since sixth or seventh grade, so... 1988, I think. Maybe 1987? I do remember us going to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit together a couple of times in 1988. I just get pieces of my life mixed up, especially the order in which things happened. He and I actually became friends a little after my previous best friend, Shane, had unequivocally rejected me. Soon after, he and all the boys in my sixth grade class followed me home (I walked) in a circle surrounding me, taunting me and hitting me. This was the same time that my parents were splitting up, so that was not an awesome time for me.
Here's something Carl doesn't know and which hopefully won't ruin our friendship: that time period was so traumatic that I was blocking things out of my mind, which I now know has something to do with my anxiety and with my ADHD. When Carl came up to me at Sunday School one day and started talking to me (I remember it with surprising clarity), I didn't actually remember who he was. I think I'd spent some time away from Sunday School and when I came back everyone was turning into a popularity-and-conformity-obsessed douchebag the way kids that age do, and Carl was being nice to me and treating me like we were old friends. And then we were suddenly best friends, and as much as I try to hide myself deep in a hole so I never have to deal with the world, he just keeps on being my friend, which is kind of amazing for someone like me who, when he was 11, heard his supposed best friend say over the phone "No thanks, I'd rather not hang out with you" and then hang up. To this day, I figure that's how all of my friendships will end, so I sometimes don't put as much into them as I should. The fact that Carl's been my friend--my brother, really--for almost 30 years now seems absolutely extraordinary to me.
I really should have told that story at his wedding.
• C-Cake or Pie? I'm dessert non-binary. I love them both. As a baker, I prefer baking cakes, but I eat them all.
• D-Drink Of Choice? I've given up soda (yet again), so it's coffee for me. I don't care for alcohol.
• E-Essential Item You Use Everyday? My laptop.
• F-Favorite Color? Blue, usually.
• G-Gummy Bears Or Worms? Worms.
• H-Hometown? DeKalb, IL.
• I-Indulgence? On my birthday, I have a Coca-Cola, a Chicago-style stuffed cheese pizza from Giordano's, and coffee cookies. Takes me a few days to recover, but fuck it, how long do I need to live?
• January Or February? February. Much closer to winter being over, and it's short.
• K-Kids & Their Names? No kids.
• L-Life Is Incomplete Without? Curiosity.
• M-Marriage Date? Uh, February something. It's on my Facebook page. Becca and I don't really celebrate it, since we were together for 15 years before we got married. (Plus, it's now my sister and her husband's anniversary.) We celebrate our first date, in December. It was 20 years last December.
• N-Number Of Siblings? Three.
• O-Oranges Or Apples? Apples.
• P-Phobias/Fears? Well, I have anxiety disorder, so I'm always some level of nervous.
• Q-Favorite Quote? "Don't worry about the world ending tomorrow. It's already tomorrow in Australia." -- Charles M. Schulz
• R-Reason to Smile? Music. And pumpkin french toast with coffee and bacon.
• S-Season? Spring.
• T-Tag Three or Four People? I don't do that.
• U-Unknown Fact About Me? I came in second in my school district's Young Authors Contest in second grade. I don't remember a lot of the specifics now, but that and another story I wrote for class were in the school library. I still have the cards. Remember those?
• V-Vegetable you don’t like? Lots of them, but especially broccoli. Or brussels sprouts, which taste like what broccoli vomits.
• W-Worst Habit? Boy, I'm not sure. A lot of what I considered my worst habits have turned out to actually be behaviors that result from an undiagnosed mental disability, so I have no idea now. Not an excuse, but an explanation.
• X-X-rays You’ve Had? I had a head x-ray about 12 years ago when I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure. I also remember x-rays when I badly sprained my ankle in high school, broke my toe in sixth grade, and a chest x-ray from around 1997 or 1998. And constantly at the dentist, of course.
• Y-Your Favorite Food? Breakfast. Just... breakfast.
• Z-Zodiac Sign? Cancer.