Friday, April 17, 2015

This Week in Neat-O

Damn, what a week. I watched all of Daredevil on Saturday and absolutely loved it, particularly Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk. Then there was all this Star Wars stuff that has me excited. So here are some other things, not all of them Star Wars-related, that made my week more fun.

:: Speaking of Daredevil, Comics Alliance has a breakdown of the impressive corridor fight sequence that I think rivals True Detective for a great single take.

:: Tough Pigs has been collecting those Muppet Moments from Disney Junior. Also, here are some pictures of the makeover of the Sesame Street set.

:: I love Pappy's Golden Age Comics Blogzine, but never more than when he posts Plastic Man, Captain Marvel, Dick Briefer's Frankenstein, or Walt Kelly. So here's a Walt Kelly from a couple of weeks ago: "The Emperor's New Clothes." Plays like a Disney cartoon that was never made.

:: The Roles That Got Away with Bruce Campbell

:: Breathtaking Views of Iconic Cities, Filmed By Flying Drones

:: Tired of oral histories yet? I'm sure not. The AV Club has a new one about the making of Airplane!


BB-8 was apparently the hit of this year's Celebration. I love how when we first saw him in the preview, people complained about the CGI and about how impractical the design was (and boy do I love it when people start going on and on about what's impractical in their pet fictional universe of gangster slugs and magic caves), and then it turns out to be an actual robot. Nicely done, Lucasfilm. Here's the video of BB-8's Celebration appearance. I'll be honest, this alone wins me over, but you know how much I love creatures.

:: Speaking of creatures, one of my favorite movies to learn about the making of is Return to Oz. Since it disappointed at the box office, you don't see much about it, but it's another creature movie that fascinated and inspired me. So it was neat to see these behind-the-scenes pictures. I haven't seen much of this stuff since 1985, just before the movie came out.

:: I'm not checking out the Terminator: Genisys or Batman v. Superman trailers because, honestly, who the hell cares? However, I did love the Ant-Man trailer. I also enjoyed the American trailer for When Marnie Was There, possibly the last Studio Ghibli film.

:: I can't help it, I'm charmed by the way the actors who play the Avengers act like an adorable dysfunctional family. I am indeed xazzed about the Star Wars trailer, but the MCU is basically my Star Wars right now. Anyway, here they are playing Family Feud on Kimmel.

:: Brad Bird's 1980 pencil test for a movie based on The Spirit. One of many great-sounding unrealized animation projects from the era.

8 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

When I visited the sadly-now-defunct Museum of the Moving Image in London in 1994, they had some of the Return to Oz stuff on display there. In particular, Tik-Tok was standing in the middle of a room without so much as a velvet rope around him. You could walk right up and put your arm around him, which I did. As a kid, Tik-Tok was always my favorite Oz character, so it was kind of cool to "Meet" Tik-Tok, even if he was run down.

A number of Ray Harryhausen's animation figures were also on display (But you could NOT touch them!), along with a Tardis, a dalek, a cyberman, the giant robot from Tom Baker's first DW story, and lots of other highly-cool stuff. It is really a shame that great museum is closed.

SamuraiFrog said...

That sounds fantastic. The closest I came to something like that was visiting a traveling exhibit about robots (which did have some movie characters) and an exhibit featuring many Jim Henson creatures when I was a lot younger at the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago. The Museum of the Moving Image was one of those things that was always on me "One day" list.

GarrettCRW said...

The Doctor Who portion of the Museum at least has been visually preserved: it's where Tom Baker's introduction to Shada for VHS/DVD was shot.

Nik said...

Not asking thisin a trolling way, honest, but I'm genuinely interested to hear how you managed all 13 hours of Daredevil in one day. I find I really can't do more than 3 episodes of a show tops in one sitting. I'd be curious to read your "Daredevil diary" or some such, do you find you can keep your attention on it the entire time easily?

Tallulah Morehead said...

I also took a few photos in there.

SamuraiFrog said...

Nik: Well, apparently I've had ADHD my entire life, which explains a lot of my viewing habits. I wasn't very excited about Daredevil at first, but the stellar reviews I kept reading piqued my interest, so by the time my wife and I could sit and watch it, I was really raring to go. It was so good and had such a good flow that it really felt like one 13-hour movie.

So the way the ADHD works, I guess, is that I either get bored and distracted easily or, if something well and truly grabs my interest and engages me thoroughly, I only do that for hours and hours. So I didn't have a problem paying attention to it at all. I took a couple of breaks here and there to do things like cook, but I was just so into it that I didn't have a problem staying up late to get it all in. I was just too excited about the whole thing.

It's the same way I watch certain shows that I will otherwise get bored by. Vikings is a great example. I like that show, but it flows better watching a whole season in a day rather than giving it a week break in-between; it doesn't engage me that way. But something like Game of Thrones holds me and sticks in my mind.

It's just how I process things; either all at once or in installments.

SamuraiFrog said...

Did that sound sarcastic? I just re-read it and I didn't mean to be that way. I say "apparently" because I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago with adult ADHD and, after hearing about a lot of my past history, my therapist is amazed no one caught it in childhood.

Nik Dirga said...

No worries, and you don't sound sarcastic - it's kind of a weird question I asked but I'm genuinely curious. I loved DD too, but probably have the opposite problem, if I watch too much I start to like it less because I'm so overwhelmed by the input. Perhaps my positronic brain is faulty! :)