Friday, March 13, 2015

This Week in Neat-O

Lots of mash-ups this week, so here they are.

:: A couple of House of Cards videos: a supercut of Frank Underwood's asides, and a sitcom opening (with an original song, no less).

:: The grandpa from Princess Bride reading Game of Thrones is a very clever outpouring of NSFW scenes.

:: Empire (a show I have been eating up, by the way) with a Dynasty-style opening.

:: I was very satisfied by this post that shows how women in Disney and Pixar movies have the same face over and over again. I've really been chafing in recent years at all this praise the two studios have been receiving for supposedly having stronger, more diverse women when all I see is the same face on the same modern stereotype over and over again. I would've loved it if she'd gone a little farther and asked why, as Disney/Pixar women have gotten stronger, their features have gotten more and more delicate. Right now they all look like toddlers with their big heads, giant eyes, small hands and teeny tiny wrists. I think their lack of coordination plays into it, too, as if they have to infantilize women so we won't get intimidated by their independence.

:: The new trailer for I Am Big Bird, which finally has a release date! I can't wait to see this documentary about Caroll Spinney.

:: Sony has killed Genndy Tartakovsky's Popeye feature, which I'm greatly disappointed by. I was really, really looking forward to seeing it, and I loved the test animation that was released. There have been a lot of shake-ups and write-downs in the animation industry right now, so I guess this is the bubble of the animation boom finally bursting, but I really wanted to see this movie.

UPDATE 10:08 PM: Jerry Beck says Popeye is still in development, just that Tartakovsky is not longer directing, having opted instead to direct an original feature he's been developing called Can You Imagine? I would really like a Popeye feature that matches the energy and cartooniness of the test reel. I think CG animation desperately needs to go that route, anyway.

Ah, well. If there's one thing that can help me get over it, it's time. Also, here's a mashup of Earl Sinclair from Dinosaurs performing "Hypnotize" by the Notorious B.I.G. Made me feel damn carefree, anyway.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Well, all of John R. Neill's girls had pretty much the same face, too.