Friday, February 13, 2015

This Week in Neat-O

:: The trailer for Straight Outta Compton, which I very much want to see.

:: The trailer for Trainwreck, which, maybe. I can't believe I would even want to give Judd Apatow another chance after This Is 40 (Minutes Too Long), but I like Amy Schumer and I kind of dig that she's got what's stereotypically the guy's role in this, but on the other hand, in addition to being too long, Apatow's movies have a conservative streak that I'm not usually thrilled about.

:: The trailer for Russell Crowe's directorial debut, The Water Diviner.

:: I think Giant African Land Snails are wonderful, Here's a video of one eating a leaf.

:: In this week's Weird Al news, Weird Al is apparently teaming up with the Jim Henson Company to produce an animated series. You had me at "Weird Al." You also had me at Henson. I'm damn excited, is the take-away here.

Speaking of Al, nice video bomb there.

:: Dr. Phil without dialogue is just a tense series of reaction shots.

:: The full trailer for Kenneth Branagh's Disney's Cinderella is a lot more appealing than the teasers were. I'll definitely see it because I like Branagh as a director and Cate Blanchett looks quite good, but seeing Helena Bonham Carter in it just makes me want to not bother. She and Johnny Depp have just become indicators of overacted crap to me, and it disheartens me when I see either one of them in something that looks good.

Disney wants to keep making these movies, and they make a lot of money, but I'm skeptical because none of them have been truly great. I liked Oz the Great and Powerful despite its many faults, which had to do more with production design and Sam Raimi and James Franco than anything. I loved Angelina Jolie in Maleficent, but it's not a satisfying film. I haven't seen Into the Woods yet, but there's that Johnny Depp again, and my eyes roll and I decide I can wait. Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is one of the worst excuses for a movie that I've ever seen.

"There's more to the legend than you've ever dreamed." Yeah, but it's usually just pretentious filler to attempt to justify making a pumped-up version of a fairy tale rather than just, say, making an enjoyable pumped-up fairy tale.

:: I quite enjoyed the trailer for The Man from UNCLE, though. I don't really have any expectations; I've never seen an episode of the old series. It just looked like an enjoyable spy action movie.

:: Fun Facts About Jurassic Park. It takes me right back to the time when that movie came out. The summer between my junior and senior years of high school, and I was SO. INTO. this movie. That summer was partially spent with a book about the making of the movie that I must have read four times.

:: Alyson Stoner's Missy Elliott tribute made me surprisingly nostalgic for really not that long ago. I was a little annoyed when she appeared at this year's Halftime Show and all the kids were tweeting "Who dat?" Missy's never gotten the credit she deserves. Of course, that same generation doesn't know who Paul McCartney is, either, apparently...

:: One more trailer: Crimson Peak. I can't wait to see what Guillermo del Toro does with the gothic horror genre.

:: Ending this all on something that makes me think of the confidence I'd like to have...


I may be fat, but remember, you can't spell "chunky" without "hunk."

3 comments:

Autumn said...

I would recommend Into the Woods. Johnny is just a bit part in it and (from someone who agrees that him and Helena make me cringe now) does well. But really really watch it for Emily Blunt being perfect and Meryl Streep making me wonder why she doesn't sing more and Chris Pine singing on a waterfall like an idiot. I enjoyed it immensely, and I wouldn't shove it in the same category as these new rehashes of old Disney films.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Man From UNCLE repeats are running Sunday evenings on METV. You should check a couple out, even if only to see how tor try to make a glossy James Bond movie every week on a teensy, backlot budget. Robert Vaughn is a bore in it, but David McCallum is not, and the guest stars are always fun.

And, on You Tube, look up "The Mother Muffin Affair" episode of The Girl From UNCLE. It's far campier than the early MAN FROMs running now, but Boris Karloff's drag performance as Mother Muffin, an evil old woman master-criminal, is HILARIOUS! (Intentionally. Boris's flirting with Robert Vaughn, who guest stars in the episode, since he was not on that series, is incredibly funny.)

Splotchy said...

I cackled at the Dr. Phil video. Really wonderful.