Sunday, February 08, 2015

Song of the Week: "One Love/People Get Ready"

Bob Marley would have been 70 years old two days ago. Marley's music used to really irritate me when I was younger, mainly because of all the pretentious idiots I knew who would play "Jammin'" ad nauseum and those damn tourism commercials that used this song with reworked lyrics. Those things played for, I dunno, felt like about 300 years. So it took me until I was older and someone just gave me their old copy of Legend on CD that I really sat and listened and really, really liked the music. This song in particular I reassessed, away from its horrible fate as an ad jingle. I had never heard the passages of the song that were, um, reworked from Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready" (a fact unacknowledged when the Wailers recorded the song in 1965, but credited in this more famous 1977 version). It all added up to a beautiful whole.

No comments: