Friday, February 27, 2015

Leonard Nimoy 1931-2015

Sad news today that Leonard Nimoy has died from end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. I knew he was sick and that he had been admitted to the hospital recently, but it's still a blow to me. Leonard Nimoy was one of the teachers of my life. I found him, no pun intended, fascinating. His autobiographies, his interviews, his artistic and spiritual sensibilities... and he played my favorite fictional character of all time. In many ways, Spock taught me how to think and taught me--and still teaches me-- how to feel. Often, when I try to calm myself from my constant anxiety and sadness and anger and restlessness and turmoil, it's Spock I try to emulate. Leonard Nimoy portrayed this in a way that's so important to me.

I am saddened by his death. Very saddened. Today I will weep, unashamed, without dwelling in my sorrow.

Farewell, Mr. Nimoy. Thank you for everything. Thank you so much.

There is a lovely write-up in the New York Times.

No comments: