Friday, January 09, 2015

This Week in Neat-O

:: Jaquandor finished his Fixing the Prequels series. I've been a fan of this for years now, and always excited when a new installment would occasionally appear. Still, I feel a little like it's the end of an era. It's been a long, interesting road for this one, a critical appraisal of the Star Wars Prequels that's actually readable... perhaps because Jaquandor doesn't lapse into either uncontrollable fannishness or the kind of "brutally honest takedown" that can easily be replaced with a Vine of a sobbing toddler.

:: The Sharpest-Ever View of the Andromeda Galaxy was taken by the Hubble... and it's a whopping 1.5 billion pixels! Over 100 million stars across 40,000 light-years. We're getting some amazing HD images of the surrounding space, and it's one of the many things happening right now that makes me hope we're right on the edge of a second Space Age.

Another great one: check out these images of the Eagle Nebula's Pillars of Creation taken 20 years apart.

:: Here's some dedicated nerdiness: Michael Furth of the Comics Archive made an Omnibus of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in chronological order. Just the video about how he put it together is 26 minutes long, but it's real dedication and a fascinating idea. The final project (which he has not uploaded) is a little over 12 hours long. Of course, now that Agent Carter is airing, it just adds more time...

:: Another trailer for the Peanuts movie. I just like the look of it.

:: The Way They Was: Six Totally Different Shows The Simpsons Has Been. An insightful essay about the history of the show that helped me understand just why I don't care for the show anymore and pinpoints a little more exactly the point at which I stopped caring.

:: If you're keeping score, we're now at over 100 variant covers on Marvel's Star Wars #1.

:: Carl Sagan Saying 'Billion.' Once. In Slow Motion. For One Hour.

:: I've always said that country music fans don't place a premium on quality. This article shows that what country music fans really seem to love is hearing the same song over and over again.

:: Ten Absurd Winter Driving Myths That Need To Die

:: Neil Blomkamp's Chappie is very much a movie I want to see.


I just had to share this silly Moo & Oink commercial from 1992, because it played SO. MUCH. when I was 15/16. A fun bit of local commercial color. I got to shop there a few times, too, when my Dad lived on the south side of Chicago, and it was a fun place to go, even though the fish smell could be overwhelming. They had some damn good meat, though, and life has taught me I'm extremely picky about the quality of meat.

Also, I had to end with this:
Now that's the way to live.

4 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

Thanks for the link! Yeah, it felt weird to get it done, too. I started that series with a lot of enthusiasm, but as it went, I felt less and less good about it. Not the series itself, but just...I dunno, I hoped it would at least have SOME kind of visibility out there in the world of Star Wars comment and fandom, but it appears to have fallen completely on deaf ears who would rather just endlessly cite those awful Red Letter Media videos endlessly as "the final word in Prequel Trilogy criticism". The posts do get discovered every once in a while, and I know when that happens via my page-stat thing, but there is almost never any comment and I don't remember the series being linked from anyone else (besides you and a couple of close-friend bloggers) EVER. Oh well, you never know, I guess! They're there, after all, and they're not going away. Maybe as STAR WARS fandom and interest rev up again as more movies start showing up...or as I start to gain recognition as the Finest New Space Opera Writer In The World! (Hey, as long as I'm dreaming....!)

SamuraiFrog said...

Well, this is still a world where people aren't ready to talk rationally about Ewoks, so there's still a long way to go. It makes me uncomfortable that rather than having discussions, a lot of Star Wars fans identify with those Red Letter Media videos, even with all of the creepy misogyny... Try bringing that up, though, and you'll hear something even more uncomfortable along the lines of "Well, yeah, the whole serial killer thing is pushing the envelope, but he makes a lot of really good points!" *shudder*

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Leave it to you to take an idea I have tried forever and turned it into one of the most interesting things I read all week. So many great links that always seem to find their way onto the Cave of Cool. People ask me who I admire in the blogosphere. Your name is always at the top of any list.

SamuraiFrog said...

Aw, shucks. Thanks for the kind words, my friend.