Thursday, January 29, 2015

Fantastic Four and Pointless Fan Outrage


So, the new Fantastic Four teaser trailer is out, and people seem to not know what to make of it. I think after a year of bashing everything they heard about it, more people were intrigued by the tone than wanted to admit it. It took a few days after its release for me to see people really getting outraged by the whole thing. But now it's out there, and it's... kind of tiring.

Lots of people seem surprised that the film is going with such a serious, hard SF tone. People are complaining that it looks like Interstellar, and that Fantastic Four "shouldn't" look like that. I feel like once again we're caught in that weird zone where fans want something new and different an innovative that is somehow exactly the same as what they've already seen. Even if they didn't like it. Does anyone like the earlier Fantastic Four movies? Other than Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans and some of the Silver Surfer stuff, I thought those movies were pretty terrible. Sure, they were more like the tone of the original issues, to some extent, but it's not like they got it right. Those movies seem to be pretty despised.

So why would Fox try to do that again? They already did it, and people hated it. Lots of people are also complaining that the movie looks like Chronicle 2, but, you know, Fox did hire the guy who directed Chronicle, so what did you think it was going to look like? Why do you think they hired him?

One of the complaints I dismiss out of hand is the one where people say it doesn't look like it fits in the "superhero genre." Superheroes are not a genre. Superheroes are characters in films of various genres.

I don't know... I don't love the trailer, but I find it intriguing. It's only a teaser, anyway. ("But it's two minutes long!" people whine, not understanding that a teaser is about tone and context, not length.) I was surprised by it, because they're really making Warren Ellis' Ultimate Fantastic Four, not Stan Lee & Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four. But I get it. Why do the same thing all over again when everyone says they hated it the first time? And the second time?

It'll be interesting to see how this one does and if the approach works out for Fox. More interesting than the fan reaction which is predictable--lots of premature bitching and making your mind up based on a trailer, predictions that it will fail, and then still going to see it just so they can bitch about how they hate it. Right now, the outrage seems to be coming from people who think superhero movies can only look one way.

UPDATE 1/30: My wife read this post and felt like I was implying that people didn't want to see a Fantastic Four movie in the Lee-Kirby style, and that their rejection of the two terrible Tim Story movies proved that. Clarity is one of my big problems. I'm not saying people don't want to see the "real" Fantastic Four--hell, I know I do--I'm just saying that, Hollywood thinking being what it is. Fox probably feels like it already gave the audience that and now they have to do something different.

5 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I too was one who snubbed my nose at this production until I saw the trailer. It's got me intrigued. That final clip of Reed reaching out and discovering he can stretch looked damn compelling. I will watch now with a bit more hope. Like Chronicle, this could be great. Did you ever see Attack the Block?? I always put that one and Chronicle together in my mind.

SamuraiFrog said...

Yes, I really, really dug Attack the Block. I'm excited that John Boyega is in the next Star Wars, because I really liked him in that one. Attack the Block is kind of underrated; it's like a hidden gem.

Nathan said...

I think judging just about any movie from a trailer is pretty ridiculous. I mean, sometimes you can tell it's something you don't want to see (for instance, I was totally turned off from Lucy by the commercial that started out with the absurd fallacy that we only use ten percent of our brains); but other times it's totally misleading. I'll probably wait and see how other people like this movie before deciding whether I'll see it. I haven't seen any of the other FF movies, but I do remember watching the cartoon on Sunday mornings.

SamuraiFrog said...

Of course, I can't not see a movie with Scarlett Johansson, but the Lucy trailer had the opposite effect on me. "We only use 10 percent of our brains." Cut to me laughing out loud. That was the moment I sort of said, well, this is going to be the fun kind of ridiculous. But, you know, maybe it's Scarlett Johansson.

I once laughed so loud at a trailer in the theater that other people started laughing, either at me or with me. It was over a decade ago when they were advertising The Core. Right away, Stanley Tucci says "The Earth's core has stopped spinning" and I snorted so loud that the people around me lost it.

Splotchy said...

We already saw a great Lee/Kirby FF movie, and that movie was The Incredibles.