Wednesday, December 10, 2014

V Is for Vendaface

There's really not much to say about Vendaface. He's a vending machine for faces. What I find interesting is that he was apparently only meant to be used one time, but Muppet Show producer David Lazer said it would be impractical to use such an expensive Muppet only once... so they used him three times, instead.

In his first appearance, he doesn't even vend any faces!



This next sketch is probably the one that was filmed first, and the one that Vendaface was built for.


I like this sketch. It reminds me of some of the Muppet bits like "Inchworm" and "The Coffee Break Machine" that I've had up here, the kind of stuff Jim Henson was doing on various talk shows. He did those over and over, perfecting them before they finally were put to rest on The Muppet Show. But this one was only done once, and Jim doesn't even perform in the sketch--the Anything Muppet is Frank Oz, and Vendaface is Jerry Nelson.

Vendaface appeared one more time, in this little filler bit with Statler.



I'm not really sure they got their money's worth out of this guy, since it's really just one joke and the middle sketch is the only one where the character was necessary. He only showed up once more on the show, in a third season one-off gag as Vendawish.



Thin stuff, really.

ABC Wednesday

3 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Given its limited use, I VAGUELY recall this. Wow, that 2nd VIDEO, which was the 1st use, you could see the joke coming a mile away, which was often true, I suppose.

ROG, ABCW

Shady Gardener said...

As much as I enjoyed the Muppets and Sesame Street, I do not remember this fellow. Thanks for Venturing him forth! So, you live near Des Moines?

SamuraiFrog said...

No, I was born in Des Moines and have a lot of family there, but I've been in Illinois since 1980.