Friday, December 19, 2014

This Week in Neat-O

:: The trailer for Mad Max: Fury Road looks... I'm on the fence. On the one hand, it looks just like The Road Warrior, which is one of my favorite movies ever--and why shouldn't it look like The Road Warrior, it's still George Miller. And I love the tone and the music and the look. But it's so big, it's a little hard to get excited. Part of the visceral thrill of The Road Warrior was that all the vehicles were real and so much depended on precise timing and stunts. There's a lot of CGI thrown into Fury Road that makes it feel less exciting to me. Of course, it's just a teaser, and I like the music and some of the energy, so who knows? Just an initial reaction that's not set in stone.

:: This elephant just went ahead and broke a sprinkler to make himself a fountain.

:: I can promise you I will be attempting to make Cinnabon waffles.

:: Is this what Ancient Babylonian music sounded like?

:: I enjoyed the Martin Freeman episode of SNL, too; not spectacular, but consistently amusing. Here's a cut sketch from the episode that's... okay. The mattress commercial was definitely the one to keep in.

:: A minute-long video from a project called 9 Kisses. It's just Kristen Stewart (looking gorgeous) and Chadwick Boseman (looking fine) and a kiss, but I thought it was nice.

:: Speaking of kissing and actresses I love, here's a two-minute film by Wim Wenders (!) starring Liv Tyler called A Short Film About Kissing. It was actually made to promote Magnum's 5 Kisses ice cream range.

:: "Weird Al" Yankovic's Mysterious Floating Orb.

By far the neatest thing I saw this week, though, was this video from Disney with Kermit the Frog singing "It Feels Like Christmas" from The Muppet Christmas Carol at Disneyland.


Last year, I talked about how much this movie and particularly this song mean to me and have meant to me for, actually, exactly 20 Decembers now. To have this pop up out of nowhere was a lovely Christmas moment. That's just perfect.

1 comment:

Kelly Sedinger said...

I don't know where my damn head is, but I read the elephant one three times before I read it as "sprinkler" and not "sphincter". What the hell, man!