Sunday, December 28, 2014

My 10 Favorite (Mostly) Movie Posters of 2014

 10. I didn't like a ton of movie posters this year (you'll hear me say "dying art" at least once if we're having a discussion about it, so some of these entries are TV posters that just really struck me. And I do think that's a striking image. Still need to catch up on the show, though...

9. As there always are with blockbusters, there were a thousand different character posters for Guardians of the Galaxy. I have to give it up for this one, though, for probably obvious reasons. If I were 12 seeing this movie instead of 38, this is the poster I would have had on my ceiling.

8. This is another way I'm cheating this year. This isn't an official poster for The Winter Soldier, but rather a crew poster for the production by comic artist Paolo Rivera. I love it much more than any of the official posters, though.

7. Also not an official poster, but too good not to include, is this fan poster by Matt Ferguson. It really gets to the heart of how much I enjoyed this movie; as much as I enjoyed Star Wars movies when I was a little kid.

6. Still haven't seen the movie, but I love space art.

5. Mike Mignola did this teaser poster for the Toy Story That Time Forgot special that I quite enjoyed. Can't wait for Jurassic World... I just need more movie dinosaurs.

4. There were a lot of Godzilla posters, and I liked most of them, but this banner poster was my favorite. Makes it look like kind of an older movie.

3. I love this because it's all kinds of crazy. The movie really delivers on this gonzo feel in its third act, too.

2. I love the designs on this show, anyway, but for a show obsessed with change, this was just inspired.

1. This was my favorite this year because it captured the excitement Legos made me feel as a kid. (And Space was indeed my favorite system. Still have all my Space Legos, and none of the helmets are broken.)

Honorable Mentions:

Last year, I hoped for a third year in a row with a Vanessa Hudgens character poster. Sadly, that didn't happen. Stuff to hope for next year... But here are my past picks:

No comments: