Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Billie Whitelaw 1932-2014

I'm sorry to hear that actress Billie Whitelaw has died. She made the biggest impression on me in Start the Revolution Without Me, which I first saw when I was in junior high, and which is still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. She was also in Frenzy and Quills, which are favorites of mine, as well as Hallmark's miniseries Merlin, which I love. I liked her in The Omen, even though I didn't care for that movie so much. The last thing she did was Hot Fuzz, another favorite.

I knew her first, though, as the voice of Aughra in Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal.

Aughra is my favorite character in the world of Thra, and I can't read the character in the recent comics about the history of that world without hearing her voice. She really made an impression on me as a kid.

I'd like to read Whitelaw's autobiography, as I'm interested in her collaborations with Samuel Beckett. Another one for the reading list.

Rest in peace.

1 comment:

Tonio Kruger said...

I first knew her from the 1976 version of The Omen and while I don't quite share your opinion of Start the Revolution Without Me, I must confess that I found Ms. Whitelaw's performance in that movie to be one of its more likeable elements.

I'm sorry to hear she's gone.