Friday, November 21, 2014

This Week in Neat-O

What seems like a long time ago, I used to do a weekly feature called the Throwdown, where I snarked on the news. It became harder and harder to do over time; internet snark is never in short supply, and I got tired of participating in that kind of negativity. I didn't like putting it out into the world. So I stopped doing it. I also stopped doing my weekly links post, mostly because I didn't think anyone cared and most of the people whose blogs I followed migrated over to Facebook and the long-form blog more or less died off. As I've become more and more agoraphobic, I've retreated more and more from really talking to people, addressing comments, putting myself in the position to have lame arguments over matters of opinion, etc.

My therapist told me I should use Fridays on my blog to maybe talk about good things going on in the world. One of the things that's made my depression worse the past couple months is all of the bad news in the world. I internalize too much and it makes me feel hopeless, makes life seems pointless. I sort of tried to do it, but my heart wasn't in it. I'm still disconnected from the world and I have to process that a little more.

So, since I don't do anything regular here on Fridays, I'm going to do this for a while and see if I dig it. It's just stuff that I liked this week that I want to post here. Stuff that made me feel good, feel engaged, feel good to be alive. My interests are almost all pop cultural, anyway, and this was always meant to be a more pop culture-oriented blog, so what they hey. Here's the stuff what I found neat-o this week.

:: Sacha Goldberger's gallery of superheroes, Star Wars characters and Disney princesses in Flemish style is pretty great. (I particularly love the Superman.)

:: Yo-Yo Ma playing Ennio Morricone's "Ecstasy of Gold," my favorite piece from his The Good, the Bad and the Ugly score.

:: Dark Seduction, a fashion film for Woman's Secret lingerie. Not for everyone, and honestly a little bit cheesy, but it's Elsa Pataky in under for seven minutes, and that's totally for me. God, I love Elsa Pataky.

:: I don't know if anyone's checked out the new Rocket Raccoon comic by Skottie Young, but it's the kind of fun I love in comics.

This month's issue, "The Storytailer," is one of the most charming comics I've read all year. Marvel's still putting out some enjoyable stuff. Not a ton, but enjoyable stuff.

:: Yes, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a show for really little children.

But I did finally watch the hour-long pirate episode featuring Dick Van Dyke as Goofy's grandpa, Captain Goofbeard. It was worth it just to hear Dick Van Dyke sing again.

:: Fan theory right now that Ahsoka Tano could be appearing on Star Wars Rebels after all... not much to say about it, just very excited for it to be true.

:: Sesame Street has a series online called Welcome to the Furchester Hotel, which is British but also features Elmo and Cookie Monster. It's cute, and there's a new 11-minute episode each Friday.


Cameron Arrigioni created this "modern" style trailer for The Empire Strikes Back. With all the talk of the Episode VII teaser trailer coming soon, I've been curious what the regular trailer might look like. Will it look like this, or will it continue in the similar style of the older trailers? I always liked the ones that just featured the Star Wars theme and a bunch of seemingly random shots. But this is a pretty darn good trailer.

:: I love what people are doing with Go-Pro cameras and animals. Here, someone attached a Go-Pro to an eagle and launched it over London.

:: Hollywood will not top Bricknerd's Lego Batman vs. Superman video for me no matter how many fanboys cry "But, but, but, planning!"

:: Dat ass, tho.

I know, I know, but I'm an ass man. I'm also an ass, man!

:: And finally, this magical video of a beluga whale enjoying a mariachi band.


Just float away on that music while you head on over to Amazon and maybe purchase Kelly Sedinger's Stardancer, in paperback or for Kindle. JS.

9 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

I always liked the "random shot" style of trailer too. I find it more tantalizing than the "Here's what the movie is about and here are a bunch of its big laughs/action moments/etc" approach. I always liked seeing a movie after I'd seen the trailer a bunch of times and figured out how the little bits in the trailer added up to a movie.

And yeah, folks, buy that dude's book! :)

Kelly Sedinger said...

Oh, and this is a great idea for a new feature, by the way! I hope you find it helpful.

Roger Owen Green said...

See, I always like your lists. And I find FB and all those "short form" things too ephemeral and snarky and all sorts of irritating. So I welcome the return.

Specifically, I didn't know about the Mickey Mouse with Dick Van Dyke, because, generally, I find that show unwatchable. Cf the 5 minute bits you've reviewed, which are WONDERFUL.

SamuraiFrog said...

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is one of those shows that encourages children to talk to the TV, like Dora the Explorer, and I do find that irritating. I follow a lot of animation news sites and saw Dick Van Dyke was going to be on and it was just too classic Disney for me to resist.

It makes it easier watching it with my wife and sort of making joke answers when the characters ask you questions.

Tonio Kruger said...

I'm a leg man myself... However, I did once have a crush on a local woman who looked a little like Kim Kardashian -- from the front, at least. Only this version was a bit thinner in back than the above photo. And she wasn't Armenian. And anyway, I have long since moved on to someone else...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I hope that one day I write something interesting enough to make your Friday list.

Jason said...

I like the longer blog entries and the list-style entries, too. I miss the glory days of blogging; social media is fun and lord knows I participate to the hilt, but it all feels so emphemeral and, for the most part, superficial. Blogs feel like you're really saying something, even if it's a list of current events with some brief comments.

As to this feature, I think it's a nifty idea and hope it helps, and that you can keep it going.

Jason said...

Oh, and also, I think the art of the film trailer has gone to hell in the last 20 years, and I'm more of a boob guy. For what it's worth. ;)

Roger Owen Green said...

Oh, and I finally looked at the whale video and said, "I've seen that beluga." We were at the Mystic Aquarium in 2012 (thanks, blog - I would not have remembered!) Your video is from 2011, so it probably IS the same creature!