Tuesday, November 04, 2014

The Meme Meddler

Huh, this is only the third questionnaire I've done this year. I used to do these more. I ganked this one from Roger's post about Proust. ("Prowst," as one of my assistant managers at Barnes & Noble used to say...)

Let's see if I can keep my answers succinct for a change.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

Suicidal despair. Been going through that again.

Where would you like to live?

Some place where it doesn't snow.

What is your idea of earthly happiness?

Honestly, just days when my wife is home.

To what faults do you feel most indulgent?

Laziness.

Who are your favorite heroes of fiction?

The Hulk and Spider-Man.

Who are your favorite characters in history?

Theodore Roosevelt, W.E.B. DuBois, Jim Henson.

Who are your favorite heroines in real life?

Eleanor Roosevelt, Sally Ride, Taylor Swift (yes, really).

Who are your favorite heroines of fiction?

Ayla from Clan of the Cave Bear, Leslie Knope.

Your favorite painter?

Winslow Homer.

Your favorite musician?

David Bowie.

The quality you most admire in a man?

Empathy.

The quality you most admire in a woman?

Same.

Your favorite virtue?

Compassion.

Your favorite occupation?

I don't know.

Who would you have liked to be?

Walt Disney.

Your most marked characteristic?

My desire to make people feel good.

What do you most value in your friends?

Understanding.

What is your principle defect?

Anger.

What is your dream of happiness?

I just want to get to a time when things are a little easier.

What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes?

Stealing Roger's answer, to be mistreated as a child. To modify, having been mistreated as a child.

What would you like to be?

Capable.

In what country would you like to live?

A better version of the United States.

What is your favorite color?

Blue.

What is your favorite flower?

Hibiscus. Or marigold.

What is your favorite bird?

Toucan.

Who are your favorite prose writers?

Isaac Asimov, Harlan Ellison, Carl Sagan, Julian Barnes.

Who are your favorite poets?

Tolkien, Milton, Shakespeare, Robert E. Howard.

Who are your favorite composers?

Richard Wagner, Stravinsky, Gershwin, Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Vince Guaraldi, Debussy.

What are your favorite names?

Andromeda.

What is it you most dislike?

Fear-based ignorance, like homophobia, racism and misogyny.

What historical figures do you most despise?

The Koch Brothers and Ayn Rand.

What event in military history do you most admire?

None.

What reform do you most admire?

The New Deal.

What natural gift would you most like to possess?

I wish I had a photographic memory, instead of one full of holes.

How would you like to die?

Helping somebody.

What is your present state of mind?

Riddled with anxiety and depression.

What is your motto?

"If you don't have anything to say, don't feel obliged to pretend that you do." -- Wim Wenders

What is your idea of perfect happiness?

Actually being able to relax. Doesn't happen every day. Or week.

What is your most marked characteristic?

I like Roger's answer: "iconoclasm." It doesn't get me many friends, but still, it's important.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

Being married to Becca is probably the only worthwhile thing I've ever done.

What is your greatest fear?

Being rejected.

What historical figure do you most identify with?

Theodore Roosevelt.

Which living person do you most admire?

Brian Wilson.

Who are your heroes in real life?

People who help others.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

Being so fearful.

What is your favorite journey?

The train ride from here to Chicago.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

Honesty that's used to mask cruelty and meanness.

Which word or phrases do you most overuse?

"Essentially."

What is your greatest regret?

Any time I've hurt Becca with my selfishness, or not taken her feelings in good faith because my anxiety is always telling me no one could ever love me, or just making her life harder sometimes.

If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?

I guess it would be nice to not feel so removed and apart.

What is your most treasured possession?

I suppose just my family photos and the Kermit the Frog doll I've had since I was a little kid.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

Suicidal despair. Like I said before.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

If I see a quiz I haven't done, I'll take it. Beats actually having to come up with my own content. You were succinct, yet, as always, revealing and honest.