Sunday, November 09, 2014

Song of the Week: "Johannesburg"

A few weeks ago, NBC aired a cut down version of the 1975 Richard Pryor episode of Saturday Night Live that, unfortunately, didn't include Gil Scott-Heron's performance of this great song. So I just needed to hear it again and, hey, why not share it for Song of the Week, since I've never had anything up by the man. Which is just a major omission on my part, because I love soul, jazz-funk and jazz-fusion. You can trace a line right from his music to dance music and eventually hip hop. And as always, I love the idea of a laid back, even bouncy tune packed with love and truth that is actually a protest song. This is the opening track from Scott-Heron's 1976 album From South Africa to South Carolina. Have a peaceful day.

3 comments:

Pat O'Connor said...

Great choice. Found this live performance from the always excellent BBC Old Grey Whistle Test from the following year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvHFuJX2Ock

SamuraiFrog said...

Thanks! That was fantastic.

Roger Owen Green said...

Agreed, tremendous choice. I have The Revolution Will Not be Televised stuck in my head.