Sunday, October 19, 2014

Song of the Week: "A Nightmare on My Street"

I remember the first time I heard this track was on Guam in 1988. When we first got there, I had terrible jet lag, and I would stay up late at night listening, very lightly, to the radio. The first time I heard this, I thought I was having some kind of weird dream. Perfectly appropriate. Apparently, the story behind this track--in which the Fresh Prince has an encounter with Freddy Krueger and which heavily samples Charles Bernstein's score from A Nightmare on Elm Street--was originally considered for inclusion on the soundtrack for A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master. When it was decided the tone didn't fit, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince went ahead and released it on their second album, He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper, and promptly were sued for copyright infringement. Both sides settled out of court, and this was the follow-up single to "Parents Just Don't Understand." I've always dug this, and I haven't heard it for years and years, so here's some late eighties Halloween silliness.

No comments: