Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

RIDE ALONG (2014)
Kevin Hart stars as an excitable security guard who wants to be a real cop. Ice Cube plays his future brother-in-law, a badass cop on the trail of an elusive arms dealer. Cube doesn't think Hart is good enough for his sister (the beautiful Tika Sumpter), so after Hart gets accepted to the police academy, Cube decides to take him on a ride along and mess with him, hoping to scare him off. I like both actors, and they play off of each other nicely, but the story never rises above its predictability. Don't get me wrong, it's amiable and amusing, but I always knew where it was going. Not a waste of time, but not something I'd go out of my way for, unless you're hellbent on seeing the entire Ice Cube canon. The final showdown between Cube and Laurence Fishburne (and I always love me some Fishburne) is funnier if you, as I did, accidentally think of it as a showdown between Doughboy and Furious Styles, their characters from Boyz N the Hood. **1/2

No comments: