Thursday, October 16, 2014

Elizabeth Pena 1961-2014

I'm very sorry to hear that Elizabeth Pena has passed away, and at the age of only 55. I had something in the way of a massive crush on her when I was a kid. I had seen her in a couple of movies (La Bamba was ubiquitous if you had HBO in the late eighties), but I sort of fell in love with her when she starred on a short-lived sitcom in 1987 called I Married Dora. She played a maid who was an illegal alien and married her boss so she could stay in the country. It only lasted 13 episodes before it got canceled. I'm not even sure how or why I watched it, except it was on ABC on Friday nights after Full House, and there weren't a ton of viewing or socializing options for an 11 year-old me in the days before thousands upon thousands of cable channels.

Ever since, I've always been crushing on Elizabeth Pena. And she was a talented actress, starring in some of my favorite movies, including Jacob's Ladder, Lone Star, the underrated Tortilla Soup, and a voice role in The Incredibles. I've seen her in a bunch of movies, but those were my favorites. I think probably the most recent thing I saw her in was a couple of episodes of Modern Family not too long ago.

I just always, always liked her.

2 comments:

Tonio Kruger said...

I have always been a big fan of Ms. Peña as well and I am very sorry to hear about her passing. I always thought I would be a lot older than I am right now when I heard about her death -- and of course, I always thought that Ms. Peña would be a lot older than she was when she passed away. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

But at least I am glad to hear I am not the only fan of hers who has a blog.

Roger Owen Green said...

Hmm. I thought she was older too. I loved Lone Star.

Damn. Jan Hooks was 57 when SHE died this week. These people are younger than I am!