Sunday, September 07, 2014

Song of the Week: "Tonight We Fly"

Songs for Becca #21. I love this song so much; this is one of those songs that grafted itself into my DNA, and I'm a little surprised that I've never featured it here before. But now I get to post it as a Song for Becca. This is the lovely Divine Comedy, from the 1994 baroque pop album Promenade. The lyrics really get to me on this one. I love it when songs declare love without being ironically removed from it. Commit to it! The forward march of drums, the flight of the strings... this song is like flying, like being in love, like dreaming, like heading off into the unknown. It's sort of the perfect love song for someone like me. It's like a culmination and a beginning. What an artful, beautiful song.

And the final denouement sticks with me forever:

And when we die, oh, will we be that disappointed or sad?
If heaven doesn't exist,
What will we have missed?
This life is the best we've ever had!

No comments: